BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Sunday, July 26, 2009

What Comfort Zone??

I have had quite the random week...

Usually I live in this little world of safe. I go to Twist, and Watermark, and home. I go to the grocery store and my mom's house. I spend a lot of my time in quiet places. And I rarely break that pattern.
I like to think of myself as a "fly by the seat of my pants" kind of gal, but really? I am only spontaneous in very controlled situations. And it is difficult (anxiety wise) for me to be away from my house for more than fifteen hours without the security of (at the very least) clean underpants and a toothbrush.

Tuesday a friend of mine called and said she had tickets to see The Fray in Kansas City - with backstage passes for Wednesday. I have no job and Bean was with her dad, so in a total departure from my normal I said, "Sure!"
We were supposed to leave around 1:00 on Wednesday, watch the show and drive right back.
We got to KC on time, and talked to the gate security while we waited to meet up with Sassy and Sammy from the radio station. My friend and her husband could charm the pants off of a nun, and before we even got in to the theater the guard offered to "get us in" to the Tori Amos concert the next night.
It took us about 30 minutes to convince Julie to call in sick to work the next day and in between buying us drinks Max secured a free place to stay.

I was a little freaked out... I mean, I had no clean clothes, no medicine, no toothbrush... and no idea where we were staying or who we were staying with. Which is all enough to send me over the edge, you know, anxiety-wise. No control, no planning, no forward thinking.

We met The Fray - they were fine... they seemed a little underwhelmed at meeting us and we were a little underwhelmed with them...
And the bass player? The guy on the end? Looks a lot like Bean's dad in high school!! Weird!!


They did put on a great show, though. Their stage presence is fabulous and they are good live. Of course, all the gin I drank may have helped a little.

After the concert we hauled ass to Wal Mart for clean underpants and toothbrushes and then we went to their friend's house and collapsed.

The next day we lazed around for a little bit and then went to Ruby Tuesday's (best salad bar EVER... why the hell don't we have one here???) and then made our way back to The Starlight for Tori.

Our person at the gate was there, but there were also a lot of people around her so we hung back. While we waited we were approached by a girl who had two tickets reeeeeeeeeeally close to the stage and she was selling them at face value. Sure, we had a pretty good chance of getting in for free... sneaking in and sitting in the back... but we decided that it was better to pay for a guaranteed seat than to hope for a freebie.
This is Tori as she came onstage... that's how freaking close we were.

It was worth every cent.

So I slept pretty much all day Friday and most of the day Saturday... now it's back to my real life.
The life where I don't do crazy things and I don't drink my weight in gin.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

The thing about leaving your Comfort Zone is that you always get to come back to your Comfort Zone.