BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Pros and Cons

Had a(nother) job interview today... I have a good feeling about it. I did NOT mention the dead husband, yet I did show off the tattoo. Weird. This whole George Costanza thing where I do the OPPOSITE of what I usually do might actually work.

I haven't been offered the job yet, but if they do offer it to me I need to decide if I'm going to take it.

It's not like the interview I turned down yesterday - working with sex-offenders. (That? I know is not the job for me. Jiffy Lube is more the job for me than 40 hours a week with sex offenders).

This job would be more than perfect if it was located, you know, in my city. Or even my county. It's about an hour away.

So here is my list:

PRO
-I can wear jeans to work
-They like my tattoo
-They want me to teach a knitting class
-Salary is within my necessary range
-Virtually no jail visits (this is entirely an assumption)
-Not a huge, mammoth, mindless, soul-sucking, windowless warren of cubicles
-Does not require the LMSW exam or license which means I can relax a little
-Health insurance (eventually)
-Co-workers? Already love them
-2 hours in the car every day = 10 hours of audio-book listening per week
-Flexible hours means I can go in early and leave early or go in late and leave late
-Would be my ONLY job offer so far

CON
-Two hour round trip (in snow, sleet, ice, migraine, swine flu, tornado, etc.)
-Hour away from Bean if there is an emergency
-Would have to buy new car WAY ahead of schedule *OR* Would have to spend more than $50 a week on gas JUST for work
-Health insurance takes 90 days to kick in
-Wear and tear on my car
-A population I've worked with but know very little about (MR)
-Should maybe join AAA (= MORE cost)

I'm sure more will occur to me as I go along...
And really? I would probably take any job that was offered at this point, but the secret is that there are two jobs now that I'm waiting to hear from. I feel like this interview went MUCH better, but then I've thought that before. Repeatedly.

The other job is in town (though all the way over on the west side) and it would be in a huge, mammoth, mindless, soul-sucking, windowless warren of cubicles. It would be a job that I had ONLY as long as it took to pass the exam and move on to a better job. This one is something I can see myself settling into. I just wish it wasn't so far away.

Sigh.

0 comments: