BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, February 04, 2010

In the Dark and Snow

I don't think it's over-dramatizing things to sat that my drive to work this monrning was terrifying. That's looking back now, after 5 hours have passed and there is light outside.

I needed to be in my office by 7:00, so I woke up at 5:30. You know me, unless I'm still up at 5:30 I don't want to be anywhere near awake at 5:30.

It was snowing and dark and the roads were covered with snow. There wasn't solid ice, but the slushiness of the asphalt made it slick, and I had a big green sled when I was a child that had better traction than my big green truck. The biggest issue was the falling snow. It wasn't heavy, really, but in the dark snow is a whole other beast. The way it was blowing - slanting to the right without any light but my headlights made me feel dizzy and a little disoriented at times, and for most of the drive the center lines were covered so I couln't even find my bearings at times. I was really afraid I was going to just drive right off the road into a field.

I slowed down and turned my radio off and kept breathing.

I was afraid to pull over - what if someone slid and hit me? I was afraid to pull off the highway - what if fear and panic wouldn't let me get back on?

I kept thinking, "I don't know how much longer I can do this." And I meant I didn't know how much longer this morning I could continue to force myself to keep driving. And I meant I don't know how much longer I can continue to make this drive... I know that I either need to move closer to work or work closer to home.

And I think I also meant that I am tired and the sadness that had lifted in early fall is starting to close in again and it makes me so physically tired. This morning in my car in the dark and the snow I wanted more than anything to go back to those dark days of last summer when I couldn't get out of bed. And feeling nostalgic about that was scarier than the weather.

I guess I just take it slow and careful like I did this morning. Keep breathing and stay between the lines as much as possible. Find the quiet and the calm... and avoid the trucks that thunder past, spraying me with mud and ice.

1 comments:

Cerise said...

But you made it. You did it. You are so brave!
My vertigo is so bad that, sometimes, when it is snowing hard, I feel like I am driving the flying car from Harry Potter. Which would be cool, if I didn't also feel like I was about to die. Be careful out there!