BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Never Say Never

I love my job. I love pretty much everything about it. I love the people I work with, I love my clients, I love the "can do" attitude that even corporate seems to embrace... I even love driving an hour each way. (I just finished listening to The Fountainhead and started The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo).
My department has grown very close and we support each other and have a great deal of fun every day.

But...

The cost of gas is killing me. I drive about 600 miles a week, I get about 17 miles to the gallon and gas is nearly $3 a gallon. I don't do the math on that... it's too depressing to contemplate... and I thought that on my sad little case manager's salary I could make it work.

I can't. Seriously.

So even though I said from the beginning that only the VA could tempt me away from my job, and even though I SWORE I would never again work for The Evil Empire, I have accepted a position with them. I start on June 14th.

The good things are: it's a 5 minute drive, my caseload will be about 2/3 smaller, I know (and like) my supervisor and I can get clinical experience.

The bad things are: it's The Evil Empire and I will miss (miss, miss) the people here. Also? Again, EVIL EMPIRE, people. I'm probably going to get killed when The Rebel Alliance blows up The Death Star. Seriously.

(In an interesting note, I got my official "welcome to The Evil Empire" letter... there were typos. I'm just saying).

Maybe it won't be as terrible as it feels.

3 comments:

Pam said...

I hope the benefits outweigh the evil empire. We all have our breaking point, and that much money spent on gas is one of them.

Unknown said...

I completely understand. I did 13 hours a day to, during and from work (200 mile round trip, 4 hours in car, 9 at work) for a year before I caved, and that was with a 30mpg car. Now? I have a 4 mile round trip commute. I feel so much better, even with the crazy anxiety ridden thought that I am making 2/3rds of what I made previous and that no one in their right mind is going to hire a 39 year old programmer when I finally do pop out of school.

Lara said...

I did the math on that and felt sick to me stomach at the thought of spending that much on gas.

I think there will be hidden benefits. You will be happier being able to spend more time with your daughter and your friends. (Don't you miss me?) You will be more relaxed with less driving. You will make more professional contacts in town, which could lead to another position you like more if you end up disliking this one too much. Above all, as sad as you are to be leaving your current position, you know you are doing what is best for you and your daughter and your life, even if you are sad and reluctant right now.